The date on the Burntisland Golf Club
crest is 1797. This is
from the note in the New Statistical Account
of Scotland (Volume IX) dated December 1836 that states,
"A golf club has
been in existence upwards of forty years.", which
would be at least 1797.
However, there is an earlier mention in the Statistical Account of Scotland
(Volume II), which was published in 1791, "A golfing club was instituted
lately by the gentlemen of the town and neighbourhood." Though there is no
proven connection with the subsequent Burntisland Golf Club, this date is
Play was originally on the links at the east end of
the High Street, on a course
with 15 holes.
history mentions that Burntisland was the first
use coloured balls for winter play. In 1874, in the Christmas competition,
the hardy members decided to brave the snow using red coloured golf balls.
town links suffered the same
problem of all golf courses on common land, namely that it became congested. Nowadays the links are in
general use as a park and the only golf connections are the crazy golf
green and the Golf Tavern pub.
Click pictures for
The Burntisland club decided to
move to Dodhead on the north east of the
town, building a course on land which
was leased from a Mr Kirke. On Saturday, 6th
June 1892, the first six holes were inaugurated with a
ceremony. After speeches by local dignitaries, Miss Kirke, the daughter of
the landowner, played off the first ball with "a silver mounted
club…amid much cheering."
The course was later expanded and has had the benefit of the opinion of Tom
Morris, Willie Park and others.
Hole with view of the Firth of Forth Click picture for larger image
This is the
official website of the Burntisland Golf Club. They still play the Dodhead course with the
Golf House Club, who run the course and will make you very welcome.
Top of page