Scottish golf club history on the west coast of
Scotland began with the Glasgow Golf Club, which was founded in May 1787 by
wealthy Glaswegian merchants and serving army officers.
They played initially on
Glasgow Green. The club virtually disbanded in 1794 when the Napoleonic Wars
took many of its members away to fight and play on Glasgow Green became
crowded. The crowding was compounded by a municipal drainage scheme in
1813 that apparently made the area ‘unpleasant’.
is the view the golfers might have seen at this time, as the Nelson
Monument, shown in the picture, was begun in 1806 and is the first civic
monument to the Napoleonic War's great maritime hero.
Only four years after it was built, the monument was struck by
lightning, breaking 6m (20 feet) off the top.
Even today the damage is still visible.
Nelson Monument on
There was a temporary
resuscitation of Glasgow Golf Club between 1809 and 1835, but the club did not really revive
until 1870, when it moved to Queens Park and fresh blood set up a new club
after consulting with key clubs such as Prestwick, Musselburgh and St
As congestion for the use of Queens Park developed, the club moved to Alexandra Park in
1874 and Blackhill in 1895, before finally settling at
its present location at Killermont in Bearsden in 1904.
The Killermont course was designed by Old Tom Morris
from St Andrews. The clubhouse is a former stately home built a hundred
years earlier, at the beginning of the 19th Century, seen below.
On 19th May 1892,
prior to moving to Blackhill, the
Glasgow Club members opened the Glasgow Gailes course at Irvine,
as they wanted a coastal links
which are more suited to play all the year round, including
the winter season. This makes the Glasgow Club unique in having two courses
thirty miles apart.
The current layout of the Gailes course is based on a design by Willie Park
Further details are available from the
official website of the Glasgow
More details of early golf on Glasgow Green
Top of Page